Saturday, March 17, 2012

Who the heck is St. Patrick?!

So St. Patrick's Day isn't as popular a holiday in Jamaica as it is in let's just say the rest of the world, our Irish population has never been high enough I suppose. But having lived in the US for five years, and having been introduced to the holiday, moving back home won't make me any less aware of it than I was when I lived away. I never stopped to question though, why the day is being celebrated or who this man St. Patrick is? That never stopped me from celebrating it with my friends, or course ;-) My complete knowledge of him ends at "patron saint of Ireland". So today, away from all the revelries,  "in my own little corner, in my own little chair" (or just simply on my bed) I decided to do a little research, and for those of you who know me well appreciate the fact that I love my history so this was just as much fun, if indeed not MORE fun, that actually donning a snazzy little green outfit and getting ready for a night on the town :-)

So for all those out there who ever wondered, St. Patrick is a saint... *gasps in shock* He was born in Roman Britain during the 5th century and was kidnapped and brought to Ireland as a slave at age 16. He is credited with bringing Christianity to Ireland and legend has it that he explained the Holy Trinity using the leaves of the native Irish clover, the shamrock. This day is celebrated as his, because it is believed that it was on this day that he died. Traditionally, because this day falls during lent, the prohibitions against the consumption of meat would be relaxed and people would dance and feast and just overall have a good time. My source is the History Channel website if you want to read some more or watch a video, should curiosity come knocking.

As a side note I always find it interesting that so many of the holidays that we celebrate have religious roots, and they always seem to be forgotten, pushed aside, or covered up and replaced with a PC explanation which pleases everyone, which generally, more often than not doesn't include God. Just a thought really.

Ah well lovelies, I leave you with an Irish blessing:

May the road rise to meet you,
May the wind always be at your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
The rains fall soft upon your fields and,
Until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of his hand.

Yours,

Happy St. Patrick's day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

d.e.b Errand and Referral Services