Saturday, August 18, 2012

London 2012 Wrap Up

The wagon has all but left me on this one, but better late than never I always say! Congrats to Jamaica for doing such a wonderful job this year at the Olympics! We topped our best on the medal table!! The London Olympics closed for us with a total of 12 medals as opposed to China 2008 11 medals!! As I have read and am fond of thinking, as long as you're moving forward, progress is inevitable.

How about that closing ceremony?! Spice girls reunion? About damn time is what I say to that!


And I have always believed and still believe that the world's greatest rock musicians came from England. Well the majority of them anyways. That was some concert London. Merci!!

It goes without saying that I am absolutely euphoric about Jamaica's success (even if I did already say it... ;)) However honourable mention must be made for achievements which stemmed from other countries:

1. Trinidad! Thank you for bring home a gold medal in the Javelin. Shocking enough that the country was from the western hemisphere, and then even more outrageous that it was a Caribbean country!! I'm sure the Europeans (who have been medalling in this event for over 30 years I believe) are already plotting their revenge. Cheers to Keshorn Walcott for a job well done. I watched you throw, and man you are amazing. You had that gold medal from the first throw kid; and based on what I heard Trinidad has certainly rewarded you well.


2. Mo Farrah....WOW! Distance runners are already on pedestals in my book. But to win the 10000m and 5000m and, in my opinion, make it look easy?! I know that Britain is proud because they have never before won a men's long distance gold and now they have two. Yay!!


3. To break a record in general is a feat in itself. To break a record set by someone else will put you on another level. To break a world record set and held by yourself puts you in a whole other ball game. This just shows a person's determination to put their best foot forward always and hints that they are destined for greatness. Of whom am I speaking? Well of course none other than David Rudisha of Kenya who won the his first 800m gold and set a new world record of 1:40.91, breaking the previous record set by him a couple years before.

4. I was really hoping for another gold by Jamaica in the 4 by 100m, alas it was not meant to be. However we did very well coming in second place to the Americans who SMASHED the world record, mostly aided by Jeter running the anchor leg. When Carmelita Jeter lets loose? Not even a Jamaican can catch her! Kerron Stewart did her best to keep up however. They chopped almost a full second off the previous time 41.37 set by the German's in 1985 to drop it to 40.82. A record I believe will stand for a while yet.



5. Congrats to Bahamas who ended USA's 4 by 400m men's winning streak. A lot of people will say they are injured, yes they were. I admit it but history doesn't remember injuries (unless you're Asafa Powell who I love very much!!) History remember's winners. So thank you Bahamas for adding to the Caribbean's medal tally for 2012.


6. I know I said honourable mentions from other countries, but I think these two need a big up to. So to Samantha Albert (Equestrian) and Kenneth Ewards (Taekwondo), thank you! Jamaica has not participated in any event other than Track and Field for a long time. Just representing us in and of itself is wonderful!!




All in all it was a wonderful two weeks, and many record breaking and history making achievements were witnessed and recorded. Congrats to everyone who participated! Even if you did not medal, you should be proud; by virtue of the fact that you made it to the Olympics you are already among the world's best athletes. I leave you with one more picture, just because I love it!




Yours,

Rio Here I come!!!... ;- )

No comments:

Post a Comment

d.e.b Errand and Referral Services