Monday, January 16, 2012

Fried Trout

After my failure to produce proper Cinnamon Roll Pancakes this morning, I return to the kitchen hours later on my solely mother's orders, to cook the fish she had me season for her earlier that day. So I know, in light of recent decisions , that I should jump at every opportunity to test my hand at some dish or the other in the kitchen  but after this morning I honestly was not up to it. Cooking is really harder than it looks!! Damn you Giada de Laurentis for making it seem so fun and easy!! (i'm joking I heart you oh so so so much...:-))

However I am pleased to report that my obedience to my mother and determination not to repeat whatever mistake I made this morning spurred me on to SUCCESS!!!!!!!!! Allow me to present to you deeeeeeelicious-flaky-oh-so-good-melt-in-your-mouth fried trout!!

I honestly feel really good about this, aaannnnnddddd my confidence shot through the roof when my mother and my father proceeded to tell me that it tasted good. Felicitations are in order! Despite my absolute awesomeness at making proper fish right of the bat, I have to be honest and report that my cream sauce which I tried to make to go with the fish was tres tres terrible!! It was lumpy and disgusting I asked my mother for help and she laughed and said that she didn't know what I was doing so how could she help?! Which makes sense, she has a point not a very strong one but valid point none the less, but maaaaannnnnnn......but fish was still awesome!!! Whooooot Whooooot!!

Now on to the god stuff....

Title: Dinner

Aim: Fried Trout with Cream sauce

Apparatus: Trout
                 Whole Lime
                 Salt
                 Pepper
                 Flour
                 Seasoned Salt
                 Vegetable Oil

Method:

  1. Wash the fish, season with salt and pepper. Add about a tsp. of lime zest and then squeeze the juice  from the lime onto the fish. Mix this well working the seasoning into the fish. Let sit for at least 30 mins. Can be left for longer if desired.
  2. Mix flour with seasoned salt in a ziploc bag or any little baggie you have on hand.
  3. Pour oil into frying pan (Medium heat). Fill it approx. 2/3 of the way full. Just ensure that it is enough to fry all the fish you have sufficiently.
  4. While the oil heats ( I left it for about 3-4 mins) take your first piece of fish pat it as dry as possible and cover it in the flour mixture. You can either place the fish in the bag and shake it up or pour the flour mixture on a tray and just rub both sides on it.
  5. Place the flour covered fish in the oil carefully (remember oil is very hot!) fry on each side for approximately 5 mins or until golden brown.
Discussion:

  1. So I didn't include the recipe for the cream sauce because mine went kaput. However if you would like to try it you can find the recipe here. I discovered that I didn't put enough milk. Now I realise that you may be thinking, "How on earth can you mess up a recipe when the instructions are right there?" Well I tried to memorise it then I went into the kitchen and after frying the fish I forgot how much milk so I didn't put enough and it remained lumpy and doughy and now creamy at all. If I had just carried my laptop downstairs all would have been well...laziness never pays off now if I would only learn that lesson?!
  2. Trout was what I used here but really any fish will work with this recipe.
  3. Feel free to put whatever seasoning you want in the flour or even no seasoning at all. Some recipes call for putting the fish in an egg batter after covering it in flour. That's acceptable as well, I didn't do it so I never put it.
  4. If you haven't noticed I am absolutely terrible at at measuring stuff I estimate alot, which probably isn't the best idea since I am learning my way around the kitchen. However I find that if I just estimate amounts based on what I have then I can generally avoid waste. I can get away with it too b/c i'm not a chef and this isn't a food blog hehe... ;-)

Conclusion: Fish success served with rice, sauce was shite tossed in the bin. All in all wasn't a bad nite. Now I leave you with perfection....


Looks good doesn't it...

Yours,

yum yum for my tum tum..... :-)




No comments:

Post a Comment

d.e.b Errand and Referral Services